Wednesday

There is no "T.O." in TEAM but there is in TOMB

So I keep pinching myself. Crap, that actually really hurts. Just a step up from getting your arm hair caught in the band of your watch. Anyways, I digress... T.O. is coming to "Big D."

"Get yo popcorn ready!"

When I first heard the news I went through the range of emotions. I laughed, I cried, I cried some more, and then I remembered the great "Reverend Deion" himself. When Sanders played for the 49ers I hated him. What true Cowboys fan didn't? After all, his blatant pass interference against Michael Irvin in the playoffs kept the Cowboys from winning 4 Super Bowls in a row, a feat never accomplished. But I also remembered my room in high school decorated with "Neon Deion" posters, 4 of them to be exact, during his time in Dallas. "Water covers 2/3 of the earth, I cover the rest" one of them proudly boasted. I went to hear him preach, play, and taped all his appearances on t.v. I even believed I was him when I was out on the football field myself in high school (although I was better). Was I sucked into the hype? Did I create some of it myself? What happened?

So after the likes of "Prime Time" now an even cockier individual (also a former 49er) is about to join the likes of "America's Team." His name of course is Terrell "Get yo popcorn ready!" (quote from his Cowboys press-conference) Owens. And although I despise everything about him, or at least I did, I find myself lately being pulled towards the middle. He has been death and destruction everywhere he has gone previously but as my friend in college so eloquently put it "am I going to follow death and destruction just because (in this case) it looks good in a blue and white jersey?" Am I going to be asking my wife for said jersey for my birthday, Christmas, or even Flag Day?

Unfortunately, in this case I may be getting on the band wagon of the "wicked one" himself. While he may suck at rapping (referencing his new rap "I'm Back" in which he states "All you haters said I wasn't gonna get my money, Now I'm laughing in your face, HA HA, that's funny!" - although it does have a catchy beat...) he is great at catching footballs. And isn't that what is important in today's society? Isn't that what we all care about? Does character really matter to anyone anymore when you can add a talent that, while he may divide your locker room, may take you back to the Super Bowl and the pinnacle of the world? In my case I am tired of caring and mostly tired of losing! So in the immortal rapping-words of T.O. I will be there watching and waiting with open arms when he decides he is "gonna get (his) eagle on, meet (him) at the star."

"GET YO POPCORN READY!"

"The Bear"

No comments: