Wednesday

The Feminist Dilemma



This story is an addition to the article recently posted on Deadspin.

For those of you who don't know the story apparently (according to Deadspin) the woman on the far left, Danika Schroeter, finished in second place to the one in the middle, Michelle Dumaresq, in the Canadian downhill mountain biking championships. Dumaresq is also the three time defending champion.

So who really cares, right? Well, I did leave out one piece of information... Michelle Dumaresq was formerly a man (and not in the "previous life" way either). This frustration led to the tasteless t-shirt that Danika Schroeter's boyfriend made for her that she is wearing in the photo. The shirt provoked the audience to join in with derogatory remarks and finally to Schroeter's three month suspension by the Canadian Cycling Association for such a classless act.

But here is what I was wondering... What would a feminist think? I know, I don't really care either but it is always humorous to think of them speechless and I may have such a situation here.

In defense of Dumaresq: I figured they might say that despite her previous manhood, she is now a woman (I figure post-op) and should be able to have the rights of all women. They might add that Dumaresq has now reached the peak of enlightenment becoming the "better sex" and should be able to be who she wants without any discrimination or ridicule. And for good measure they hopefully would add (if not for my humor alone), "She is Dumaresq, hear her roar!"

But then there would be Dumaresq's opponents as well. Their argument would be easy also: Dumaresq has been, still is, and always will be a man (despite the depth of the current circumcision). They could point out that Dumaresq is just another example of a man trying to infringe on woman's rights and take over their lives. And don't forget that they would probably even call Dumaresq a pervert, probably having the operation just to get closer to women.

So I can see this argument shaping up. I really think Fox should have this as a debate opposite "Desperate Housewives" and see which gets more ratings. I am sure we could find feminists who support each side, and don't forget, the bowl of popcorn to make it a true theatrical performance. And while they are at it they could answer another age old question that plagues me to this very day: If a man talks in the woods, and there isn't a feminist around to hear him, is he still wrong? Especially if this man is now a woman...

Not sure exactly how pure but I am 100% man,

"The Bear"

No comments: